How to Make Fruit Scones at Home in Royal Way
Today, we are discussing the third Royal Recipe coming directly from the kitchens of residence of British Queen Elizabeth II. The Buckingham Palace’s Royal Pastry Chef uses this recipe to make the traditional fruit scones that are serviced to thousands of guests during the annual Garden Parties in the UK. Scones are well-rooted in the history of British Food culture. Scones are connected traditionally with England, Scotland, and Ireland. It is Scottish quick bread which apparently got its name from the Stone of Destiny.
Pretty simple and equally tasty the recipe is simple. As I am determined to brush up my cooking skills, this is a good addition to my recipe book.
Ingredients for the Fruit Scones
- 500g Plain Flour
- 28g Baking Powder
- 94g Butter
- 86g Sugar
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 140ml Butter Milk
- 100g Sultanas (Cover in hot water and leave to soak for 30 minutes)
Every year at Garden Parties across The Royal Residences, over 27,000 cups of ☕️, 20,000 🥪 and 20,000 slices of 🍰 are consumed!
The Royal Pastry Chefs are happy to share their recipe for fruit scones, which traditionally would be served at Buckingham Palace every summer. pic.twitter.com/yrnXmNwaQ3
— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) May 19, 2020
Method to bake Fruit Scones
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Mix the flour, baking powder, butter and sugar together in a bowl, until a crumb is formed
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and buttermilk together
- Add the liquid to the crumb mixture
- Continue to mix the dough, until it is smooth
- (Optional) Add the sultanas, and mix until evenly distributed
- Remove the dough from the bowl, flatten the dough and cover
- Cover and leave to rest for approximately 30 minutes
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 2.5 cm and cut to the desired shape
- Rest the scones for another 20 minutes
- Gently egg was the top of the scones
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown
- Cool before serving with jam and clotted cream
This is the third recipe in the last few weeks that we received from the Royal chefs. Before this, we got The Royal Chocolate Cupcake Recipe and Royal Cheesy Baked Eggs recipes. Don’t forget to check them out or my First Attempt at Baking Chocolate Chip Muffins at Home. While we are talking about food and cooking I also made this Spicy Cucumber Margarita.